Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Quick Note About the Power of Affirmations Written After Work

I'm in the basement of a hospital looking forward to being home after a long day at the hospital where I work as a social worker. People inspire me here at times, such as the woman I phoned who is on oxgen, 99 years old, who over the phone called her 90 year old husband who she'd be married to for 62 years "doll-baby."

Today there was frost on the windshield. While driving from Sebastopol to Santa Rosa one affirmation that occurred to me was:

I love being happy.

Frank Corner*

I have been letting the affirmation from yesterday work on me. I say yes to this mysterious life. I remembered that affirmations are a process, where you say them and then feel any resistances to them. I decided to consider this life as including the life here on this earth and beyond in the other worlds of the Creator. I liked better: I say yes to the mystery that is life.

I love being happy - It felt so good to sit around a round table at a natural culinary arts school founder's home (the Baumans) and enjoy a Passover seder - the avocado with bee pollen salad, the company. Earlier I loved responding to a new friend's answering machine message (where she pretends to have a French accent) by singing "La Vie en Rose" with gusto on her machine. After grieving in various ways for my hubby dying, being happy is a joy.

I remember how powerful affirmations can be. Once in my life I taped all my affirmations and listened to them. One affirmation I listened to was: I am healed from all past traumas. Oh, yes. Soonafter I was drawing and a symbol of an old trauma came up in the drawing. That started a whole process of healing. I also recall that when I studied yoga with Yogi Bhajan gazillion years ago in 1970, he said if you were sick you could use the affirmation: Healthy am I, Happy am I, Holy am I. Once when I lived in San Anselmo when I was in my 20's I felt like I was dying and I said this mantra and felt better; it took me out of that illness like Oscillococcinum can take you out of a flu if you take it soon after symptoms. I wanted to mention the power of affirmations so you might consider this when and if you craft them.

I appreciate my holy soul.

I appreciate you visiting. I look forward to reading any affirmations you want to share in your comments. KP, your comment was a huge, beautiful affirmation for me. Thanks so much. Now I will drive back to Sebastopol to the apple orchard and see my daughter and hopefully hug an apple tree. I first heard about hugging a tree when I was 17 or 18 when Leo Buscaglia discussed this in his class at USC (I also got to go to his Love Class which he held weekly). He truly decided to live life on his own terms, and I couldn't believe it when I heard he had died. Leo will never die. Never.

What is my wish? Happiness for you and I.

No comments: